Monday, March 23, 2009

Gustav Klimit (1862 - 1918)

Stoclet Frieze : Expectation

1905 - 09

Gustav Klimit (1862 - 1918)

Out of all the paitings I found by Gustav Klimit, this one is my favorite. I liked this because of it's bright color usage and that it encorporate a hieroglyphics feel to it. The pattern in the background is also something that stood out to me in the painting.

Water Serpents II

1904 - 07

Gustav Klimit (1862 - 1918)


This piece reminded me of the water sirens from The Odyssey by Homer. If you look closely, you notice that painting has four females intertwined. I found that to be interesting about it because it draws the viewer in and makes them curious to know the meaning behind the portrait.





Medizin (Hygieia)

1900 - 07

Gustav Klimit (1862-1918)

What I like about this piece is that it looked very greek metholical-like the use of color and spiral/circular shapes used on the dress of the woman featured in the painting.





Klimit is part of the Vienne Art Nouveau movement.





No comments:

Post a Comment